June 6, 2022
As solar module know-how continues to evolve, producers are repeatedly striving to realize greater ranges of module efficiency and longevity. One long-term PV module efficiency situation / level of failure might be moisture ingress.
Many imagine crystalline silicon (c-Si) panels should not that delicate to moisture ingress over the long run, however current testing carried out by technical groups at Quanex point out this isn’t true. Quanex has offering photovoltaic (PV) module safety for greater than 20 years with SolarGain Edge Sealant. SolarGain Edge Sealant LP03 is a polyisobutylene butyl rubber adhesive with built-in desiccant relevant for a lot of sorts of PV modules.
Quanex says it has demonstrated SolarGain Edge Sealant’s capability to offer excessive ranges of moisture safety in c-Si panels, extending lifetime power output, whereas additionally spotlighting these rising technological traits which have uncovered a necessity for greater ranges of moisture safety all through the photovoltaic market:
- Traditional ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) encapsulants have the potential to generate acid that may sap the panel of its power as a result of corrosiveness of the acid when uncovered to moisture over time.
- Alternative encapsulants like thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) and polyvinyl butyral (PVB) have demonstrated greater potential to withstand moisture ingress versus EVA however are significantly dearer and troublesome to deal with in the course of the meeting course of.
- New applied sciences like perovskite solar cells (PSC) and heterojunction (HTJ) cells have additionally demonstrated promise of upper module effectivity however have proven larger moisture sensitivity and due to this fact additionally require larger moisture safety.
Applying the right sealant to new modules can:
- Help delay lack of power over a module’s lifetime by considerably delaying any degradation mechanisms activated by moisture.
- Extend helpful life by a further 10 to fifteen years with out another adjustments to current design.
- Maximize cell space rising aperture effectivity.
- Maintain wonderful environmental efficiency in high-heat circumstances.
Have you checked out our YouTube web page?
We have a ton video interviews and extra content material on our YouTube web page. Recently we debuted Power Forward! — a collaboration with BayWa r.e. to debate greater degree trade subjects in addition to greatest practices / traits for operating a solar enterprise right now.
Our longer operating aspect undertaking is The Pitch — by which now we have awkward discussions with solar producers and suppliers about their new know-how and concepts in order that you do not have to. We’ve discusses every part from residential rail-less deck attaching and home solar financing to large-scale energy storage worth stacking and utility-driven new home solar + storage microgrids.
We additionally submit our Project of the Year bulletins there! Interviews with this 12 months’s winners might be up beginning the week of Nov. 8. Head there and subscribe right now to remain on prime of all this further stuff.